Thursday, May 3, 2012

Chipotle Shredded Beef Flautas


I know it's been awhile since I last posted anything, but it's midterms and that means not only am I busy writing papers and studying .... I'm realizing that I have about 6 weeks to figure out what I'm going to do with my life. I even bought my cap, gown and diploma frame today!!! :) To clear my mind, I thought that I'd take the time to write a post about Cinco De Mayo. I originally had 3 different posts, but since I was busy all last week and since Cinco De Mayo is in a couple days.... I won't get the chance to post up everything. Plus Sean didn't really like one of the ideas because 1) it involved me, flammable liquids and fire -even thought I told him it was safe- and 2) he thought it was tacky, since it could only be used on Cinco De Mayo. Can you believe that I've never actually celebrated Cinco De Mayo?!? I've always wanted to, but I usually had school or work and was too tired to do anything. The most I did do one year was grab let over carne asada from a neighbors and went back home to do homework. Lame, I know. So this year I'm super excited that it falls on a Saturday and I finally get to do something... Even though I probably should be studying....

I'm posting a food recipe. Don't worry I have a couple craft ones coming up if they come out decent when I finish. I've never been a fan of taquitos because I don't like corn tortillas much. But flautas I love. I've never made them before. Honestly it just seemed easier to buy the frozen ones and toss those in the oven. But I never realized how easy it was to make my own and the filling I made was better, in my opinion. I found out about Chipotles in Adobo Sauce about a little over a year ago and ever since I discovered these little things I've tried to put them in anything.... Honey Chipotle Chicken, Chipotle Wings & a Chipotle-Tomatillo Salsa. If you haven't used them before I suggest you go out and buy a can of them. I baked my flautas, but if you want you can fry them. They probably crisp up better and taste a lot better with the oil.

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients

2 pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 onion - 1/2 cut into slices & 1/2 finely diced
3 cloves garlic, 1 whole & 2 minced
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 tomato, diced
2-3 chipotles in adobo, depending on how spicy you want it
1 Tablespoon adobo sauce
1 fresh jalapeno, seeded and diced
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon paprika
12 6 or 7-inch tortillas, warmed (I actually used 8-inch & found that they were too big)

Directions

1. In a large saucepan or dutch oven combine beef, 1/2 onion (sliced), 1 clove of garlic, salt and cover with water. Bring the water to a boil and let simmer, partially covered, for about 1 - 1 1/2 hours, or until beef is tender.

2. Take beef out and let cool. Drain broth, reserving 1/2 cup. Shred cooled beef by hand or with forks. 
3. In a large saucepan (I used the same one) cook the finely diced onion and the remaining garlic in oil over moderately low heat, stirring, until the onions are softened. Add the shredded beef, reserved beef broth, tomato sauce, tomato, chipotles plus adobo sauce, jalapeno, cumin and paprika. Salt and pepper to taste.
4. Let the mixture simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes and the sauce has thickened a bit. Let the filling cool.

5. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
6.Working with 1warm tortilla at a time, spread 2-3 tablespoons of filling down the middle of the tortilla. Roll up the tortilla, enclosing the filling. Place seam side down on a non-stick baking sheet. Repeat until there is no more filling left. Spray or brush the tops of each flauta with oil.
(I found that if you wanted skinnier flautas because your tortilla was too big was to take 1 tortilla and cut it in half and then fill it up and roll it.)
7. Let bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown, rotating half way through.
8. If you want to fry them,In a large skillet, heat 1/2 inch of oil over medium heat until hot, but not smoking. You can place a toothpick in them to hold the seam shut or place seam side down and hold in oil to seal it. Turn them in the oil until crisp. Transfer them to a place with a paper towel to drain the oil.
9. Serve with guacamole, salsa, cheese or sour cream.



Did you make anything special for Cinco De Mayo??? Let me know below :)

No comments:

Post a Comment