Tuesday, February 18, 2014

DIY Cabochon Earrings


I don't know about you, but I have the tendency to lose a lot of my earrings. I managed to lose one earring somewhere between buying them at the mall and taking them out of my bag at home. Gone! Vanished and never found again. The worst part was that I never got to wear those cute little flower stud earrings. After that experience, I gave up. I decided that I wasn't going to wear earrings anymore....until now. If I would have known how easy it was to make my own cabochon earrings, I would have never bought them from the mall. The best part about these earrings is not how easy they are to make, but how inexpensive it is. This means that I can lose as many as I want and not feel so bad. 

You can either make your own cabochons with polymer clay and a mold or you can do what I did and buy them off of Amazon. I found a 100 piece flat back resin cabochons  for a pretty decent price on Amazon and they came with a variety of roses, chrysanthemums, daisies and peonies. 


Some of the flowers were too big and I turned them in to rings. There are a couple very big flowers that I want to turn into pendants, but I just haven't done it yet. Check out the rings though. Aren't they cute? You can find adjustable ring blank findings at Michaels, JoAnn, Hobby Lobby or you can order them off Amazon.


To find out how easy it is to make your own cabochon earrings, keep reading.



Supplies

Flat back resin cabochons
Flat pad earring findings with backings (mine were 5mm with a 12mm post)
Industrial strength adhesive, such as E6000


1. Sort out your cabochons into matching pairs.


2. Add a small dot of adhesive to the back of the cabochon. Remember do not add a lot, a little goes a long way in this case.

 
 

3. Adhere the earring finding to the back of the cabochon. You want the finding to be in the middle of each cabochon. If  you have bigger cabochons than you want to it to be slightly higher than the middle so it doesn't look weird when it is placed in your ear. 

4. Let sit over night to allow the adhesive to completely set. Once the adhesive has completely dried, you can wear them and hopefully not lose any!

Did you make your own? Do you have a favorite color that you love to wear? Share with me below!


Want to learn how to make more jewelry?


DIY Chain and Pearl Bracelet

DIY Yellow Floral Necklace

DIY Multi Chain and Pendant Necklace




No comments:

Post a Comment