Do you have guest coming over or were you told at the last minute to bring a dessert? Skip the packaged stuff and make these coconut macaroons instead. They are super fast, very little work and you need only 5 ingredients.
These coconut macaroons are toasted and crunchy on the outside, but soft and chewy on the inside. If you're in mood, you can drizzle a little melted chocolate over these sweet little coconut macaroons. Chocolate makes every better!
I brought them to the office and they were a hit. I made them smaller which meant that they can be easily shared by more people and those on a diet feel less guilty. But you can feel free to make them bigger if you aren't in a sharing mood, all you need to do is bake them a little longer.
Have a bag of shredded coconut sitting in your pantry just crying out to be used?!? Then keep reading
3 large egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 14-oz package sweetened shredded coconut
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Using a hand mixer or stand mixer with a whisk attachment, whisk together egg whites, sugar, vanilla and salt in a large bowl. You want the mixture to be foamy and have the sugar almost dissolved.
3. Slowly fold in the shredded coconut and gently stir until it is all combined.
4. Drop 1 heaping tablespoon into mounds onto lined baking sheets and keep them about 1 inch apart. Try to keep each mound uniform.
5. Bake for about 20 minutes, turning the pan halfway through, or until golden brown. Allow to cool completely. Drizzle with melted chocolate if you want.
These will store for 5 days in an airtight container.