Saturday, June 16, 2012

Fathers Day Blueberry Pie


Tomorrow is a special day, not only is it Fathers Day, but I am also graduating. My parents are coming up to help me move and I thought that I would make my Dad something he'd like. My Dad loves blueberries. He always lets me know when he is going to go blueberry picking at a small farm by their house. So I thought for Fathers Day, I would make him a blueberry pie, plus I was lucky that blueberries were on sale! I used a pre-made pie crust because it was convenient for me since I was packing as I made the pie. The sweet smell of the blueberry pie filled my little apartment and I was tempted to eat some of it right when I took it out of the oven. BUT of course it would have been awkward when my Dad opened the box and there was a partially eaten pie... oops!...



Here's the recipe:
(Adapted from Simply Recipes)

Ingredients

Pre-made pie crust or your own recipe

Filling:
6 cups fresh blueberries rinsed and stems removed
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup all-purpose flour (for thickening)
1/2 cup white granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

Egg Wash:
1 egg
1 Tablespoon milk

Directions
1.Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Fit the dough over a 9-inch pie pan.
2. In a large bowl, gently mix the blueberries, sugar, flour, cinnamon lemon zest and lemon juice. Transfer into pie crust. Dot with pieces of butter.

3. Unroll other pie crust dough and place on top of the berry filling. Tuck the top dough over and under the edge of the bottom dough and crimp the edges with your fingers. 
4. In a small bowl, whisk egg and milk together to make egg wash. Brush the top of pie with egg wash. Score the pie on the top with 4 cuts. 
5. Place pie on parchment lined pan and bake for 425 degrees for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for 30 to 40 minutes more or until juices are bubbling and have thickened. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Let cool completely before serving.

What's your kind of favorite pie?

No comments:

Post a Comment