Wednesday, March 28, 2012

DIY Floral Pearl Necklace


It's Spring Break for me so I'm excited, I get to spend time with my family this week and get to see my baby, Ace. But while my parents and brother are out working, I do what I normally do and either A) go to Walmart and Target since there isn't one where I live or B) make stuff. While I make things, my dog usually forgets that his Mommy is back and goes and lays in the sun to get his tan on.

The Sweetest Pitbull I Know

Since Ace forgot about me, I went online and came across this Kate Spade necklace and decided that I wanted to do my own inspired knock off. This Japanese Floral Pearl Necklace is originally $178, but my version is only about $10. It's not exact, but it's because I ran out of beads and bead caps, so I made it a bit different. Here's the original.



What You Need
22 16mm Pearl Beads
44 Bead Caps  (Floral type)
Beading String
White Satin Ribbon
23 Crimping Beads
2 Jump Rings
Pliers
Super Glue (E-6000 is what I used)

1. Slide a crimping bead and jump ring onto the beading wire. Slip the string back into the crimping and crimp it down with the pliers. Slide a bead cap onto the string followed by a pearl bead and another bead cap and finally another crimping bead. Flatten the crimping bead.
2. Repeat the process 21 more times. Bead cap, bead, bead cap and crimping bead. Until you reach the end, then you want to add a jump ring. 
3. Cut pieces of ribbon to desired length that you want the necklace and fold so it fits through the jump ring. Tie a knot with the ribbon on both sides and put a drop of glue on it so it doesn't come apart. Cut another piece of ribbon and tie a bow over the knot. Place another glue dot on the bow so it doesn't come apart also. Do the same to the other side.
It's pretty simple and if it wasn't for Ace who bothered me, I probably would have had it finished in one try, instead of 3.... He kept bothering me and it caused me to ruin the necklace, but I couldn't get mad at him cause he's too amazing :)

What do you think of my knock off?

No comments:

Post a Comment