Saturday, January 25, 2014

DIY Soothing Lavender Oat Bath


With the crazy weather in California, one day it's in the 80's and the next day it's in the 60's and the Santa Ana winds, my skin is not handling the constant change from hot to cold combined with the dryness. If you have sensitive skin like me, or if you just enjoy an oat bath like Sean, than you will love this diy.

Sean first got me into oatmeal baths when I have a really bad skin reaction to the weather and suggested that I used the Aveeno Soothing Oatmeal Bath Treatment. I loved it, but what I didn't love was paying $8 for 8 packets. I know it's $1 each and that is a lot for me.

If you didn't know the Aveeno bath is made from 100% colloidal oatmeal. Colloidal oatmeal is great for dry, itching skin, so it's a good choice to relieve any discomfort caused by eczema, poison ivy, chicken pox, and insect bites. It is also great if you just love an oatmeal bath and want soft skin. After doing some research and finding out that all it is is simply very finely ground oatmeal, I was shocked and even more against buying it from the store. I've had a huge canister of Quaker Oats sitting in my pantry and figured if I can make it for free, why not? Right? I added lavender to mine to make it more my taste, except if your like Sean and you don't like little dots in your bath water, than you might want to stick with just the oatmeal.

Important Allergy Note: If you are allergic to gluten, I suggest you use certified gluten free oats to avoid any allergic reactions.

Now, ready to make your own? Continue reading to find out this super easy diy.


Supplies

Grinder or blender
2 cups oats
A few tablespoons lavender, if using
Canning jar with lid

1. Place oats in grinder or blender, I used my single cup attachment on my Ninja Blender, and lavender, if you are using.
2. Pulse until the oats are finely ground. This took me a couple minutes for me, and will depend on the type of grinder/blender you are using. If you are using a coffee grinder, you will obviously have to do multiple loads.
3. Once finely ground, add the oats into the jar.
4. Now the best part! Run your bath with warm/hot water and while the tub is filling, add the oats under the faucet to help disperse the oatmeal. 
5. Soak and relax!

*When you are ready to get out, be careful as the bathtub will be slippery from the oatmeal.


Need another gift idea that will brighten up your loved ones day?

Box of Sunshine



No comments:

Post a Comment