With it being Super Bowl this weekend, you should surprise your guests and continue to spread the pumpkin love. What's the best part about these bars? It's pretty much a portable piece of Pumpkin Pie! None of the messing around with having guest cut their own slice of pumpkin pie, they can just simply pick up a bar and in a few bites it's gone. I also love these Pumpkin Pie Bars because I'm not a huge fan of pie crust. I always feel that it's missing something. With the addition of the oatmeal cookie crumb, it takes this slice of pie to another level.
Here's the Recipe:
For The Oatmeal Crumb Crust:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups quick oats (old fashioned works as well)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
For The Pumpkin Pie Filling:
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 pinch ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree
1/3 cup evaporated milk
whipped cream, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, salt and baking soda. Add in granulated sugar (1/2 cup) and brown sugar (1/2 cup), mix until there are no clumps. Add melted butter and vanilla and stir until it is all evenly moistened.
2. Gently press half of the oatmeal crumb mixture into a greased 8" by 8" baking dish. Bake for about 12 to 15 minutes.
3. In a large mixing bowl, mix together granulated sugar (1/2 cup), brown sugar (1/2 cup), cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves and salt.
4. Add in egg, egg yolk and vanilla. Mix until well blended. Mix in pumpkin puree then milk.
5. Pour pumpkin mixture into baking dish and bake for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove from over and sprinkle the other half of the oatmeal crumb mixture over the top of the pumpkin. Place back in oven and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean and the center isn't very jiggly.
6. Allow to cool for about 1 hour at room temperature and cut into squares. If desired, top with whipped cream.
|Apple Cider Caramels|