Monday, August 27, 2012

Roasted Tomatillo and Green Olive Salsa


I was asked to post the recipe for the Roasted Tomatillo and Green Olive Salsa that I made for Sean the other week. After a week of celebrating Sean and mine's anniversary and flying out to Philadelphia for a friends wedding, I am getting to it.


Before I was able to post the recipe, I had to finish Sean's normal anniversary gift. Every year I make a scrap book the things that we did over the past year and I was excited about this one because there were too many pages that I had to move on to a second binder. I simply covered and hot glued fabric over the binder and cut a "frame" out of cardboard, glued fabric over that and then placed it on the center of the binder's cover. Super easy and I loved the way that it came out. As you can see in the photo below, I don't have a Circuit or die-cuts. All of my writing and little drawings are either hand drawn or traced directly onto the page or traced on a different paper, cut out and pasted. I wish I have a Circuit because my life would be easier, but it just goes to show that you can make a beautiful scrapbook without one. 

I also made Sean an "I Love You" pop-up card and the template can be found over at Six in the Suburbs
Here's a quick glimpse into our scrapbook.
Then there was our trip out to Philadelphia for a friends wedding. Sean and I took advantage of the trip and went sight-seeing and spent time eating good food. The first placed we went to was Honey's Sit and Eat. If you go during the week, they have a breakfast deal for $3.95 and you get 2 eggs, Challah toast, Latke, fruit and coffee, and for a couple more bucks you can add a sausage or like me add turkey bacon. This was hands down the best latke that I've eaten. We also saw the Liberty Bell, ate at DiNic's and had amazing cheese from Downtown Cheese at the Reading Terminal Market and went out to Tony Luke's for a cheese steak. 


Honey's Sit and Eat Bargain Breakfast



I had an amazing time and the wedding was one which looked like it should have been in a magazine. Beautiful and the bride's parents property was amazing. I wish that I would have taken pictures, but I didn't bring my camera and Sean's camera ran out of memory during the ceremony. After an exhausting weekend, it feels good to be back home and share my experience and now the Roasted Tomatillo and Green Olive Recipe with you.

Here's the Recipe:
(Adapted from Foodie Crush)

Ingredients

1 1/2 lb tomatillos, husked and cut in half
6 garlic cloves
1/4 of a medium onion
3 jalapeno peppers, stems removed and cut in half lengthwise 
1 serrano pepper, stems removed and cut in half lengthwise
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 cup green olives (pitted)
1 cup cilantro
1 lime, juiced
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2-3/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup water
*Adjust amount of peppers depending on your liking of heat*

Directions

1. Heat oven to 475 degrees. Spread tomatillos, garlic, onion, jalapenos and serrano peppers on a baking sheet and coat evenly with olive oil. Roast for 15 minutes or until tomatillos are browned and blistered. 
2. Remove from oven and place in a food processor or blender with olives, cilantro, lime, sugar and salt. Pulse a few times. Add water and puree until desired thickness.
3. Serve with chips or be like Sean and put it on everything that you eat. 














No comments:

Post a Comment