Monday, April 9, 2012

Stewed Spicy Chicken with Spinach


This weekend seemed like a super long one. Probably because I spent all day Sunday and all of today either on my couch or in my bed. I started feeling sick on Friday, but with the amazing weather lately, Sean and I decided that going to beach was better than staying in. For that moment it was worth it, but now I wish that I was 100% healthy because the sound of an 8am class tomorrow doesn't sound appealing at all.

Being sick, I made this chicken hoping that all the spice would kill whatever is in my system... along with chugging mint tea with loads of honey and fresh squeezed orange juice. This recipe is originally called Dak Bokkeum with Spinach (Korean Stewed Chicken with Spinach), but I couldn't find any Korean chile sauce at the grocery store or at the local Asian market here. Instead, I used something that I have in my fridge... Schug* It's a Yemen chili  that is used like a hot sauce and traditionally served with Yemen foods, such as Malawach (my fav!) and Jachnun. This chili is commonly found in Israeli grocery and super markets or you can make it on your own. There's a red and a green version, I used the red schug. I'm pretty positive that if you used any type of chili paste or sauce, this chicken will turn out really delicious.



Here's the recipe:
(Adapted from Cooking Light)
Serves 6

Ingredients

1/4 - 1/3 cup schug (depending on how spicy you want it)
1/4 cup (1/2 inch) sliced green onion (bottoms)
2 1/2 Tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
2 Tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
2 Tablespoon ginger, peeled and minced
1 1/2 Tablespoon dark sesame oil
1 T brown sugar
2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2 inch strips
8 ounces fresh baby spinach
cooked brown rice
3/4 cup (1 1/2 inch) sliced green onion (tops)
1 Tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

Directions

1. Combine the first 7 ingredients in a large bowl. Add chicken and coat. Cover and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
2. Bring 1/3 cup water to a boil in a Dutch over. Add chicken and mixture; bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes. Uncover and simmer for 10 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in spinach and green onion tops. 
3. Serve with rice and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Super easy and delicious. I also threw some of the left over chicken and spinach in an omelet the next morning  MMMmmmm :)


No comments:

Post a Comment